FM24 -Real Fixtures and Results for up to 38 Major Nations,58 Leagues in total Released click here for details ×

Current Ability and Potential Ability vs Current Rating and Potential Rating

pcornall

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a thread about it.

Was wondering which is a better guide for identifying players to bring in - their ability (current and potential) or their positional rating? A lot of the time there is a clear link between them, but I often come across differences, eg high current ability such as 160+ but relatively mediocre positional rating such as 70-75 (even when using their best position) or vice versa.

CA/PA is what you should be looking at as that determines how good and bad a player is.  The Positional Rating value is just there as a guide just like the role suitability circles in the game.

Edit: This is an explanation that I received from a user a while back.

I was looking through your guides and saw you hadn't done anything with Player Rating Settings because you were unsure. If that is still the case let me explain. For each of the play positions available you can set the importance of each attribute. The numbers entered are "weightings" so if you give a striker 100 in finishing but 20 in tackling it will consider, for the striker position, that finishing is 5x more important than tackling. All the stats together produce an average for each position for each player. Now, unfortunately, I am unable to load a game due to the update. So I will post screen shots later on, but maybe for now you could have a look yourself. On a player information screen it has two positional strength overviews, one takes into account a players natural position while the other is based solely on stats. So you could have a centre back who's rated as 80% for a target man due to having the appropriate stats, however, he is currently 5/20 for the forward role. The main problem here is when you search for players it shows us their current and potential rating (the percentage one) based on stats alone. So if I search for a 80% CB i might get a centre midfield come up. I know you're not part of the Dev team but could it be possible to change the rating to one that takes into account position rating, so if I search for a 80% centre back I *only* get players who are 18+/20 for a CB.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey,

I wanna know the difference between CA and Current Rating, also PA and Potential Rating. Which one is better for player or which one should we look to determine who to buy for specific position?

I'm gonna give an example to explain myself better.
               CA  PA  Current Rating Potential Rating
Mbappe 190 197    82.81              83.49
Haaland 194 195    82.1                82.35

Example.png

On 6/30/2023 at 2:37 PM, Kevin Durant said:

Hey,

I wanna know the difference between CA and Current Rating, also PA and Potential Rating. Which one is better for player or which one should we look to determine who to buy for specific position?

I'm gonna give an example to explain myself better.
               CA  PA  Current Rating Potential Rating
Mbappe 190 197    82.81              83.49
Haaland 194 195    82.1                82.35

Example.png

Hi welcome to the forum!

i merge your post to this one you got all answer here.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...