FM24.0 -Real Fixtures and Results for 38 Major Nations,58 Leagues in total Released click here for details ×

Windows 10 problems?

Jørn André Berg

• 4 years later...

Hello, Culturedleftfoot. Could you provide a link to where this problem had been reported? When I tried to verify whether older versions of FMRTE work with Win10, I have encountered this error at FMRTE 5.2.7 (which worked fine on Win7). I have not been able to find the threads where this problem has already been reported, as my search returned only this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: tested it on my laptop which uses also Win10, and the issue does not appear. It seems there is something particular which FMRTE 5.2.7 does not like and it would be useful if I could determine what exactly.

Well, I think I might have figured out the cause. It occurs if the game resolution is different from the windows screen resolution. That is, if the windows screen is, say, using 1920x1080 and you want to run the game at 1366x768 (for instance, to have a bigger font, because on a laptop the game text in FM is downright tiny at 1920x1080, as old Football Managers do not know how to scale the same way Win10 does), FMRTE 5.2.7 gets an error that "could not create icon data" and crashes. But it does not seem to happen if windows screen resolution and game resolution match. It happened first on my new desktop, and I managed to replicate the error on my laptop (when I tested first, I ran the game at the same resolution as the monitor, hence I draw the wrong conclusion that it was working fine on it). The issue does not seem to appear in Win7, as I tested it repeatedly on an old PC with Win7 and I have not been able to reproduce the error.

This would be one for the devs to resolve

Honestly, I don't think that would happen. What dev would bother himself with such an old version? But if the bug had been reported and the original poster (Berg) did not return after being directed to the bug forums, I assumed a solution had been found in the past - hence why I was looking for the old bug topics.

Important update: Unfortunately, it seems this error is not specific to FMRTE 12 (5.2.7) only. I have tested the FMRTE for FM 2013, 2014 and 2015 and the error reoccurs. I cannot confirm it for the later games, as FM 2015 is the last game I have (I stopped buying it around 2015 since my PC wasn't powerful enough anymore to run the game smoothly) Whenever you change the game resolution to something different from Windows resolution, the FMRTE gets "can't create icon data" error and crashes. It seems to be Win10 specific, because I have not been able to replicate it on Win7.

The good part is that the error does not seem to occur if Win10 and the game are using the same resolution.

Thanks, I did so. Still, I think this thread is useful to keep around, because it's not just one version, there are at least four (FMRTE 12, 13, 14 and 15) and could possible be more - therefore, more people could encounter it and, fortunately, I was able to find and provide a workaround.

But, if I may, I would like to ask you to do me a service (and likely, to the community and the devs as well), if you would be so kind. As I have said, I have not been to test the bug for FMRTE 16 and later, so could you test to see what happens if you use a different resolution in newer versions of FM and FMRTE (which one you might have). I am interested in particular if the bug occurs in FMRTE versions which appeared after Win10 was launched.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hello, I recently upgraded my PC from w8.1 to 10 and I confirm I have the same error message with FMRTE v5.2.7
I've been playing in 1366x768 resolution since 2011 and have never had the slightest problem. But there error message fmrte every time as soon as I return to the game.

6 hours ago, Rajito7 said:

Hello, I recently upgraded my PC from w8.1 to 10 and I confirm I have the same error message with FMRTE v5.2.7
I've been playing in 1366x768 resolution since 2011 and have never had the slightest problem. But there error message fmrte every time as soon as I return to the game.

I have tagged you into a thread, please read it.

Then submit a bug report with the error logs

cheers

• Thanks 1